- Daily Telegraph – Iran has dispatched one of its newest warships to shadow the world’s biggest mine-hunting exercise that has been taking place over the last few days in the Gulf.
Posts Categorized: IranianNavy
- US Institute for Peace – What is the record of interaction between the U.S. and Iranian navies in the Persian Gulf?
- BBC – An Iranian naval task force has docked in Sudan, carrying with it a “message of peace and security to neighbouring countries.”
- Washington Post – Iran is rapidly gaining new capabilities to strike at U.S. warships in the Persian Gulf, amassing an arsenal of sophisticated anti-ship missiles while expanding its fleet of fast-attack boats and submarines, U.S. and Middle Eastern analysts say.
- New York Times – Two Iranian warships that docked in a Syrian port as a senior Iranian lawmaker denounced American calls for arming the Syrian opposition were reported on Tuesday to have left the Mediterranean, sailing south through the Suez Canal toward the Red Sea.
- Daily Telegraph – Iran’s navy claimed its warships entered the Mediterranean on Saturday to show its ‘might’ to regional countries, as a high-level American official was due to arrive in Israel.
- Stratfor – Stratfor sources have indicated that Iranian naval exercises scheduled to take place by Feb. 19 have been delayed or possibly canceled. Given other recent moves by the United States and Iran aimed at reducing bilateral tensions, the apparent delay may have been motivated by a desire to facilitate talks on Iran’s nuclear [...]
- BBC – In 1988, US warships clashed with Iranian forces in the Gulf. As a war of words now escalates, is there a danger that history will repeat itself?
- Economist – Despite its sabre-rattling in the Gulf, Iran’s options are limited
- UPI – An Iranian naval official said the country’s navy plans to deploy ships in the Atlantic Ocean near U.S. maritime borders.
- UPI – Cruise missiles with a range of 124 miles were delivered to the Iranian navy to bolster the country’s national defense, the Iranian military said.
- Associated Press – Iran’s navy chief says he is seeking closer naval ties with Syria.
- Washington Post – Iranian officials on Tuesday hailed the passage of two warships through Egypt’s Suez Canal as a milestone in Iran’s effort to play a greater role in maritime affairs.
- BBC – Two Iranian warships have entered the Suez Canal to make a passage to the Mediterranean Sea, canal officials say.
- BBC – Plans by two Iranian warships to pass through the Suez Canal into the Mediterranean have been cancelled, says an Egyptian official.
- Associated Press – A common fight against piracy brought U.S. and Iranian navy commanders together in a meeting with other participants earlier this month.
Daily Telegraph – Iran navy produces armed copy of Bladerunner 51 speedboat Iran says it will mass produce armed replicas of the Bladerunner 51, the British-built speedboat hailed among the fastest in the world, for its navy in the Gulf.
AFP – Iran navy equipped with four new submarines Iran’s navy on Sunday took delivery of four new mini submarines of the home-produced Ghadir class.
Financial Times – Iran-bound powerboat raises fears Has a record-breaking British powerboat become the “ultimate toy” for an Iranian playboy or – as US investigators fear – is it now equipped with the world’s fastest torpedoes aimed at sinking an aircraft carrier in the Gulf? Thanks to Mark for the link!
Foreign Policy – The Strait Dope Why Iran can’t cut off your oil.