- BBC – South Korea has deployed two warships with missile-defence systems, reports say, a day after the North apparently moved a missile to its east coast.
Posts Categorized: SouthKoreanNavy
- BBC – South Korea and the US have begun three days of naval exercises in what is being seen as a show of force aimed at North Korea.
- US Naval War College Review – Since its provocations against Yeonpyeong Island on 23 November 2010, North Korea’s asymmetric threats have emerged as one of the most momentous security issues for the Republic of Korea (ROK). After bitter defeats in the First and Second Yeonpyeong Sea Battles, as well as in the Daechung Sea [...]
- AFP – South Korea will build a naval base near an island claimed by both Seoul and Tokyo so that its warships can deploy faster than Japan’s in case of disputes.
- BBC – Demonstrators are gathering on the South Korean island of Jeju to protest at construction of a new naval base.
- BBC – South Korean navy commandos have stormed a cargo ship which had been seized by pirates in the Arabian Sea.
- The Diplomat – In the second article on Asia’s navies, a look at the South Korean Navy’s blue-water naval ambitions.
BBC – South Korea begins massive military drill South Korea has launched its biggest-ever anti-submarine exercises, the military says, despite warnings of retaliation from the North.
Washington Post – U.S. debates joining S. Korean military exercises The Obama administration is wrestling over whether to send an aircraft carrier to take part in military exercises with South Korea in what would amount to a significant show of force after the deadly sinking of a South Korean warship in March.
Defense Technology International – Team Spirit Revival The U.S. and South Korea will undertake new joint exercises in the wake of the sinking of the South Korean Cheonan frigate.
Associated Press – Clues suggest North Korean sub behind warship attack Experts say North Korea’s submarine fleet is technologically backward, prone to sinking or running aground and all but useless outside its own coastal waters. And yet many are asking: Could it have been responsible for the explosion that sank a South Korean warship in [...]
BBC – South Korea vows to retaliate over warship sinking South Korea’s defence minister has said those responsible for the deaths of 46 sailors on board a warship that sank after an explosion must “pay a price”.
BBC – South Korean warship sunk by ‘close-range explosion’ Last month’s mysterious sinking of a South Korean warship was due to a “close-range” explosion under the ship, a preliminary inquiry has found.
Economist – Playing for time If North Korea did deliberately destroy a South Korean warship, what next?
BBC – South Korea raises bow of sunken warship South Korea has raised the front half of a warship which sank last month near the disputed sea border with the North.
BBC – South Korean president in vow over sunken warship South Korean President Lee Myung-bak has vowed to respond “resolutely” to the sinking of a warship last month near the sea border with the North.
BBC – North Korea denies sinking South’s warship North Korea has denied sinking a South Korean warship near their disputed maritime border last month.
BBC – ‘External blast’ probably sank S Korean naval ship An “external explosion” probably sank the South Korean naval vessel which went down near North Korean waters last month, an investigator says.
BBC – Korea ship reaches oil tanker taken by Somali pirates A South Korean warship has caught up with a super-tanker that was hijacked by Somali pirates in the Indian Ocean.
BBC – South Korea tanker hijacked by Somali pirates A South Korea-operated, Singapore-owned oil tanker has been hijacked by Somali pirates in the Indian Ocean. South Korea has sent a destroyer already in the area to intercept the tanker before it reaches any port.